C PROGRAMMING LANGUAGEC is a procedural programming language developed by Dennis Ritchie in 1972 at AT&T Bell Labs. C is considered as the most powerful programming languages ever. It was originally developed to re-implement UNIX operating system. C is a High Level Programming language but often referred as Middle level programming language because of its ability to provide rich support to low level programming.
|Languages originated from C|
FEATURE OF CC is powerful language and its real power comes from number of features it provides. Here are some features that C provides:
|Features of C programming language|
Simple and RobustC is considered as simplest and easiest language ever. Its simplicity lies in the lesser number of programming constructs that are used to create any complex program.
C is a robust programming language with rich set of in-built library functions and operators that can even write the most complex programs ever.
PortabilityC is a machine independent programming language i.e. C program can run on any machine that has C compiler with few or no modification. Although C is doesn’t provide platform independency as Java provides.
ModularityC programs are modular in nature i.e. they are basically divided into modules by modules. Modular programming is a programming construct where we divide our program into different modules and combine them together in a single module to form a Program.
ExtensibilityC provides a rich set of in-build library functions. But we can also write our custom library function and attach with the C programs to use them in future.
SpeedC programs compiles and executes faster than any other modern programming languages. And this is also the fact that it is used for Operating System development.
Memory managementC provides an efficient way to access and manage memory through the use of Pointers.
ADVANTAGES OF LEARNING CWhether you are beginning your programming with C or you have learnt some other programming languages earlier. Learning C has its own importance, here are few advantages of C, over other programming languages.
- C is much simpler language as compared to any other programming language. It has less number of constructs which makes easier to learn.
- Almost every hardware have a C compiler.
- Compilation and execution of a C program is way faster than other modern programming languages.
- Being a high level programming language, its ability to support low level operations makes it different from other programming languages.
- C language is considered as a backbone of the Operating System development. As all popular OS are fully or partially written in C.
- C language is also widely used for developing Compilers, Assemblers, Language interpreters, Device drivers, Databases etc.
- All modern programming languages are directly or indirectly inherited from C. Hence learning C will make easier to learn C influenced programming language.